Feeling weak and lack of energy. Having muscle pain around knee and thigh. Blood pressure and sugar normal. What to do?

Hi there,
For the past week or so i have had a feeling of weakness and lack of energy.
The main symptom seems to be weak jelly like legs and a drain/lack of energy.
I have muscle pain around the knees, back of the knees and also thigh muscles. It feels like i have been to the gym and pulled a muscle but i haven't which is strange.
Occasional i have pins and needles in my right fingers hand back of calfs too, sometimes in the thighs.
I generally feel a lack of energy and its quite worrying. I have checked my blood sugar levels, temperature and blood pressure and they all seem ok.
Any ideas?
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 1 hour later

The most common condition which can cause such a symptom is a viral infection(Flu). But usually you will have fever associated or atleast chills. Fever or chills could have been a week back and what you are suffering from now could be the sequelae.
You definitely have a myositis going which is causing muscle pain and weakness.
Causes of myositis could be Flu, vigorous exercise, autoimmune diseases like Dermatomyositis, Polymyositis, Systemic lupus etc, medicines etc

I would recommend you to get a complete blood count including Hemoglobin, Total counts, Differential counts, Platelet count and ESR. From the counts usually doctors get a clue whether an infection is going on.
Anemia also can cause feeling of lethargy and tiredness.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.