Feeling warm outside, yeast infection, bacterial vaginosis, tested for diabetes

Hi, I am a 40 year old woman, who is generally in good health, however as soon as it starts to get warm outside, I tend to either get Yeast infections or BV. What am I doing wrong, I have been tested for Diabeties as well.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 4 hours later

There is no direct relationship between yeast infections or Bacterial vaginosis and the changes in the external environment. It can influence indirectly by altering hormone levels to changing environment, but that is unusual because it can happen only in extreme conditions.

Good that you have checked for the Diabetes because its the main cause for recurrent yeast infections(candidiasis).

To help prevent recurrent vaginal infections the below measures can be followed these are:

1.Keep your genital area clean and dry.

2.Do not douche. While many women feel cleaner if they douche after menstruation or intercourse, it may actually worsen vaginal discharge because it removes healthy bacteria lining the vagina that are there to protect you from infection. It can also lead to infection in the uterus and fallopian tubes, and is never recommended.

3.Use pads and not tampons.

4.Have to screen your partner for the above condition since these are considered as sexually transmitted disease, your sexual partner (or partners) must be treated as well, even if they have no symptoms. Failure of partners to accept treatment can cause the infection to keep coming back and may lead to pelvic inflammatory disease or infertility.

5.Use condoms to avoid catching or spreading sexually transmitted diseases.

A detailed clinical examination(per speculum examination) and the tests are essential to tell what's going on, I suggest you to see a Gynaecologist for the same.

I hope this helps you.