Feeling very weak, breathing heavily while climbing stairs and having pain in knees. Suggest the tests to be taken

I'm 31 yr guy, height 5'7" and weight 79 kgs. Recently from past three months, I'm feeling very weak. Small tasks like climbing stairs, walking for a bit causes heavy breathing. Sitting for a long time and getting up causes pain in knees.
At times there is no appetite and I feel full even after eating very little and at times I have heavy appetite and feel like eating non stop.
Also early in the morning I get very nauseas and stays for a couple of hours.
Lead a very active sexual life.
Rare smoker about 1-5 sticks a month. At times no smoking for months.

Kindly suggest what tests should I go for?

Medical history : had bronchitis for last two years in winter. And recently diagnosed with sebopsorasis for chronic Dandruff.
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Basic investigations...

Detailed Answer:

I went through your details. You seem have easy fatiguability with breathlessness on minimal exertion and appetite changes. You have not mentioned chest pain, cough, weight loss or fever which can be slightly concerning.

That being said, without a physical check it would be extremely difficult to predict if the cause is an organic or somatic reason. If feasible please visit a physician close by for detailed chest and heart examination. Alternatively you can order complete blood count, blood sugar and thyroid function test as first set of test and then consult a physician with the results.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: Feeling very weak, breathing heavily while climbing stairs and having pain in knees. Suggest the tests to be taken 11 minutes later

Thank you Doctor for the reply. Regarding your queries, I never had chest pain, cough is there frequently but stays for a just few days and as mentioned in original query, for last two winters I had chornic cough which turned out to be bronchitis. I was out of country for the month of XXXXXXX and July. My weight was 86kgs before leaving but on return, I was 79kgs, so there was a weight loss but its stopped now. I'm back to gaining weight. No fever recently in last few years. Suffer from insomnia since college days.

On the psychological side, there has been emotional upheavals for past year. Feel depressed/loss of interest in surroundings.

I have scheduled a appointment with physician tomorrow.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
That's a good plan of action...

Detailed Answer:

I understand you having cough for few days, but cough that lasts for more than 3 months will need more probing. I hope you are taking adequate measures to keep bronchitis at bay; quitting smoking completely is going to be crucial in this regards.

You have history of insomnia since years. Further emotional and depressive condition do present with somatic complaints; so do not feel upset if your doctor points out to these factors alone as the cause of your problem. You will definitely benefit as you take care of the psychological parameters.

That being said, since you are gaining weight, (more than your BMI standards) your doctor would consider the above list of tests. If not, you may discuss with them about the need. You can go ahead with the tests after your treating doctors consent.

In brief, I don't think we have something serious issue here. It can be rectified easily.

Hope this helps. Feel free to write back if you have any more concerns before closing the discussion.