Ask a Urologist   »  

Feeling urgency in urination but getting less urine. What could be causing this?

Hello I never urinate in a straight line and through out the day I have some leakage. It's been going on for a couple of years now. What could be causing this and what should I do
Posted Mon, 15 Oct 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Thanks for your query to XXXXXXX
Possible causes are.
1.     Urge incontinence - that occurs before reaching the toilet.
2.     Stress incontinence - that occurs on severe cough and lifting weights.
3.     Unconscious incontinence- that occurs without your knowledge.
4.     Other rare types.

You need careful history, physical examination including per vaginal examination, followed by tests like urine analysis, culture and ultrasound scan with residual urine.
The treatment depends on the cause.
Urine flow needs to be addressed by uroflowmetry test.
Your physician would be the best person to evaluate and decide on the line of treatment.
Hope I answered your query.
Kindly get back for doubts if any.