Feeling urge to pass stools but cannot push it out, had rectal bleeding due to hemorrhoids. Related?

General Surgeon
I have hemorrhoids. I had rectal bleeding for a week. Improved my diet. Bleeding has completely stopped. Now I feel the urge to go but I cannot push the stool out. Is it possible this is caused by the hemorrhoids? Any suggestions other than medical intervention? I also would like to avoid a colonoscopy.
Posted Fri, 21 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 20 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Constipation and hemorrhoids are interrelated. In most cases, constipation appears first and when it lasts for a long time, it may cause hemorrhoids. And so is steady lifestyle, low fiber diet, fatty foods. But the main problem is, that same causes and same symptoms are characteristic for something worst than hemorrhoids - large intestine cancer. That is why, when bleeding from anus appears, especially associated with constipation, colonoscopy is necessary to rule cancer out. Only after this exam, we can say that the reason of your bleeding are hemorrhoids. So it is advisable to not avoid colonoscopy as the results of neglecting may be life-treating.

In the meantime before you will get scheduled for colonoscopy, you can try some stool softeners, drink more water, use fiber XXXXXXX products, and some suppository for hemorrhoids. You should see a surgeon to find if the surgery is necessary. But before it, colonoscopy is strongly advisable.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.