Feeling unsteady and off balance when standing and walking. Reason?

Spine Surgeon
I am experiencing unsteadiness and feeling like I am
off balance off and on during the day when I stand and walk. It comes and goes. Just started about 5 days ago.
Posted Sun, 11 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 45 minutes later
There are many reasons which can cause such problem. It could be due to disruption in any of the ear (vestibular), visual, or proprioceptive systems (brain and spine). may happen due to sudden blood pressure changes.
It may be associated symptoms such as-
Vertigo is the sensation of spinning or having the room spin about you. Most people find vertigo very disturbing and report associated nausea and vomiting.
Disequilibrium is the sensation of being off balance, and is most often characterized by frequent falls in a specific direction. This condition is not often associated with nausea or vomiting.
Pre-syncope is a feeling of lightheadedness or simply feeling faint. Syncope, by contrast, is actually fainting.
If there is ear problem then you may get noisy sounds and hearing loss and flickering of eyes. If its a visual problem then you tend to have difficulty in seeing the objects. In case of brain or spine issues you may have weakness in extremities or issues with urination.
I would suggest to consult physician to get a thorough exam to pinpoint the problem. According things can be further investigated. Thanks.