Feeling uncomfortable in spine and hearing clunk sound. Reason?

Dec 2012

I have a feeling in the lower left of my spine and it feels like a disc is moving, like it is ready to pop. It feels like it is making a "clunk" noise when it moves. It's uncomfortable when it happens. What is causing it and how can I make it stop?
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 30 minutes later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

I will like to know if you feel any pains at that level? Also if you feel any changing sensations of your extremities especially the lower ones?
The cloaking or clacking noise could be as a result of joint displacement or release of intervertebral air space or gas when joints are suddenly separated. This can be normal but in rare cases can be pathologic or due to a diseases condition such as arthritis or disc herniation.
The reason why I was asking about pain is to see if we could be oriented towards thinking about an underlying cause. If pain is associated to that, then I will advise you consult as soon as possible an orthopedic surgeon so he can run a CT scan or MRI to rule out a possible underlying diseases condition of the vertebral column.

Hope this will help and let me know if you have other questions.
Dr Nsah
Follow-up: Feeling uncomfortable in spine and hearing clunk sound. Reason? 8 minutes later
It is more of a dull ache than a pain. It feels like a heavy weight in the base of my back. No change to lower extremities.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 17 minutes later

Thanks for updating.
Sounds to me like lomboarthrosis which is a form of 'wear and tear' joint diseases as you are aging and if slightly overweight or obese could aggravate the situation.
Just try to get an appointment with a doctor (not necessarily a specialist), it will be good to rule out first some serious conditions before we settle on milder conditions like the lomboarthrosis that I have evoked. If that is the case, then all you will need is some physical therapy, maybe steroidal antiinflammatory etc.

Well hope this info will help you
Dr Bernard