Feeling uncomfortable around scrotum. Noticed lump above penis. Feels itchy. Used clotrimizole cream. Red scrotum syndrome?

Dermatologist
Question
for the past 6 weeks I have been feeling uncomfortable around my scrotum, I red spot formed two inches above my penis and turned into a white hard lump which I picked out after over a month and it had a little root.

the scrotum itself is red where the follicles which is most of it apart from the part down the middle. the skin is also leathery. I have some spots above my bum and my bum has been itching, although this could be down yo paranoia.

I went to the std clinic who did the standard tests, nothing showed up, so went to the doctors twice, I was told it was thrush and the hair follicles were infected. however within the two weeks of using clotrimizole cream there has been little improvement.

tonight I noticed a rid pimple between my scrktum and thigh and two the other side these are not itchy.

my concern is the red scrotum, it feels prickly when it rubs against my shorts and seems to get worse when I am hot and sweaty. please see the attached photos, what do you suggest? I've read about red scrotum syndrome and it seems I might have that?
Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 6 hours later

Thanks for the query and photograph.

I had a careful look at the pictures and read your report with diligence, It looks like fungal infection only.

Since topical antifungal cream hasn't helped much, you need to take oral treatment. Technically we do see many patients who respond good after oral therapy. Therefore please consult your dermatologist and start oral anti fungal like fluconazole.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other doubt.

Follow-up: Feeling uncomfortable around scrotum. Noticed lump above penis. Feels itchy. Used clotrimizole cream. Red scrotum syndrome? 3 hours later
I also have some red spots above my bum and a sort of rash looking thing at the bottom of it, not sure how long they have been there, could they be related?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 10 hours later

Thanks for the follow up and sorry for the delay.

Yes, the rash on buttocks can also be due to same fungi.
This type of presentation is called is Tinea cruris.

Please take the anti fungal treatment.
A point to remember is that, the anti fungal treatment must be continued for at least 2 months even if there is good response in initial few days, as the disease is known for recurrence.

Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you,