Feeling twitching and painful sensation in abdomen. Not pregnant. What can this be?

Mar 2016

I have kind of a strange question. Yesterday I say my gynecologists for my annual exam. My exam was normal and I have not had any problems. The strangest thing happened this morning after I got out of bed. I started feeling this twitching sensation in my abdomen. It is in the mid section, around the navel area and right below the navel also. It is not painful, just feels like a twitching, flopping back and forth type of motion. I know I am not pregnant. This came on suddenly and took me by surprise. I have had muscle twitches in other areas of my body on occasion, but this is strange and I have never had anything like this before. I can see and feel the twitching. Not painful, just annoying.
My questions are:
1. Is this my uterus twitching?
2. Could this be brought on by the pelvic exam I had yesterday?
3. Is is something serious?
4. Do I need to let my OB/GYN know what is going on?
5. Can this be related to menopause?
6. Could it be stress related?
I am little concerned that this came on so suddenly and has been continuing every few minutes since waking up this morning. Please advise.
Posted Mon, 29 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 57 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments regarding your queries:

1) The twitching is possibly not due to uterine cause as it is not painful. Next thing your annual pelvic examination and overall health checkup are also normal. It may be occurred by some factors like stress, muscle spasm, menopause, indigestion problem, hypertension etc.

2) The following day twitching sensation is possibly not related to previous day pelvic examination. Above mentioned factors are mostly associated with that.

3) In my opinion, it does not looks like so serious but you need to eliminate predisposing factors after consultation with your doctor.

4) Yes, you may consult with your OBGYN or healthcare provider for a clinical examination. It will give more detailed information and supportive medication may be required.

5) Yes, it may be associated with menopausal symptoms/ stress. But, mostly it looks like a muscle spasm as you have gotten it suddenly after waking up.

You will get some relief after doing some light exercise, taking healthy diet and consuming more fluid. Also, you need to practice regular meditation or deep breathing exercise to reduce mental stress.

Hope, it helps for your information. If you have any other query, you can freely ask me.

Wishing your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen