Feeling tiredness in eyes, dizziness and heaviness. What is going on?

Nov 2013

I have had some off/on dizziness, and my eyes feel tired, a bit dry, and heavy/sore feeling... I have no real sinus pressure or discharge, and no fever. it was worse several weeks ago with dizziness, but that's a bit subsided now..
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Dizziness may be due to some common causes, such as

1. Peripheral vertigo including BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo). In this condition, there is dizziness, which is aggravated with change of head position. Treatment with betahistine tablets and vestibular adaptation exercises leads to improvement.

2. Central vertigo due to brain related causes- such as lack of blood flow to brain, infections, tumor, etc. In these conditions, usually there would be additional symptoms such as headache, double vision, slurred speech, imbalance while walking, etc. MRI scan of brain may be done to determine the cause.

I think in your case, the likely cause of dizziness seems to be the first one.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have more queries.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist