Feeling tired, light headed and loss of breath. Had heart attack. Suggested 50% heart in working. What does this mean?

Question
i had a heart attack 2 months ago and they said to me my heart is working at about 50 % how bad is this ?
I have been feeling lightheaded and out of breath and tired
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 3 hours later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Heart functioning only 50% indicates significant heart attack.

But a positive attitude and fighting mentality will definitely help you to recover. Use all those medicines as prescribed by your doctor. Do not get depressed. With a right attitude towards life people with even worse heart attacks have led a happy life.

Continue to ask further queries as required.
Hope this helps.

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
M.D.(Pediatrics)
Associate Professor of Pediatric

Follow-up: Feeling tired, light headed and loss of breath. Had heart attack. Suggested 50% heart in working. What does this mean? 4 hours later
thank you but can you tell me how long it can take to start getting better . after 2 months I still don't feel any improvement but feel a little worse

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 32 minutes later

It is a variable and depends on the extent of myocardial damage (damage to the heart wall), the pre-health status of the individual, etc.

If you are feeling worse, then some change of medication or further evaluation may be required. So please consult your doctor for the same.

Hope this helps.