Feeling tired, hot, weak, hungry, pain in stomach and lower back. Gaining weight. What to do?

Hi, i have been feeling sick 4 three days and extremely tired all the time! a few times a week I suddenly come over faint, hot, sweating sick and weak sometimes with pain in my stomach and lower back! This has been going on for some time now! I also have a heavy feeling in my head. About a month ago I was at the doctors because I as getting a grabbing pain under my ribs after eating but also when I was hungry and this pain wasnt relieved with pain killers! I done a breath test 4 helicobacter but this was negative. I have also gained weight over a short period of time, i have went up 2 dress sizes. I feel hungry all the time. I also urinate quite a lot at nite and this is going on 4 a number of years. In my last pregnancy I was checked 4 diabetes insipudis but this was negative.
Posted Fri, 31 Aug 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 4 hours later

Your symptoms are all pointing towards a Thyroid dysfunction. It may be Hypothyroidism or Hyperthyroidism. Hypothyroidism seems more likely as you feel extremely tired all the time, have gained weight over a short period of time, and are hungry too.

Please get your fasting thyroid profile done with T3, T4 and TSH and let me know the test report. Also, do get a fasting and post prandial blood sugar done to check for Diabetes.

Proton pump inhibitors like Omeprazole will help you in the pain under the ribs. It is available over the counter in UK. Please follow a bland diet for next one month.

I do not think it is Diabetes Insipidus.

Hyperthyroidism is associated with Tachycardia while hypothyroidism presents with Bradycardia.

Please do let me know about other relevant symptoms or reports, if you have.

Do write back for further discussion on this.

Follow-up: Feeling tired, hot, weak, hungry, pain in stomach and lower back. Gaining weight. What to do? 7 hours later
Thank you for your reply! I am going on holiday now until next Thursday and I will make an appointment to see my GP on my return. I forgot 2 mention at night I can feel my heart thumping on the bed and occasionally I get flutters!
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 15 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

The heart thump feeling and getting flutters do happen in thyroid dysfunction. They need to be investigated if they cause you trouble in your daily routine. When you XXXXXXX your GP, ask for an Electrocardiogram just to reassure you. I do not think this is required.

For now, enjoy your holiday and return safely.

If you have no further queries, you may close the discussion and write a review.

Follow-up: Feeling tired, hot, weak, hungry, pain in stomach and lower back. Gaining weight. What to do? 9 hours later
Hi I have had my bloods taken before to check 4 a thyroid dysfunction but they were normal, although this wasn't recent! Can a thyroid dysfunction start at any time in your life! My sister has an under active thyroid so it is in the family history! I do hope that I find out what is wrong so it can be treated. The way i feel isn't normal and the tiredness is definately affecting my daily routines! I have two young children so there is no such thing as resting when your sick...

I have appointment with my GP next Friday afternoon so hopefully I will find out whats wrong.

Thank you for your help so far and I will try my best to have a good holiday!
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 28 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Thyroid dysfunction can start anytime in your life. It happens more so when one is in stress, pregnancy, fever and other high metabolic states. The probable reason in you may be stress.

It does run in families too. So, there is an additional risk in you.

Please go ahead with the appointment with your GP and you should be fine soon.

Follow-up: Feeling tired, hot, weak, hungry, pain in stomach and lower back. Gaining weight. What to do? 8 days later
Hi, I went 2 see my GP yesterday! For 5 days now I also feel lightheaded, the feeling like im on a boat or just coming of a lift. I told him this also, he checked my ears and gave me tablets for the light heads. He said about the sickness im getting there isnt anything that can be done about that! He said there is medication that I could take but because im only getting it now and again and it only lasts 20 mins then he wouldnt advise it. He didnt mention anything about thyroid. I arranged for me to go for rountine bloods for the fatigue. I feel no further forward. There definately has to be a reason for all these symptoms but how and ever I will wait now and see what the blood results show up, if anything!
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 5 hours later

Thanks for writing.

I am glad that you saw your GP and he checked your ears and gave you tablets too. I hope he did record your blood pressure and it is normal.

Please check the routine blood reports for any abnormalities. In my view, it is still better for you to undergo a thyroid test. Wish you could speak to your doctor again about getting it tested.

Also, start yourself on multivitamin supplements on a daily basis. These are available over the counter.

Eat regularly on time and do exercise too. You must not be feeling so fatigued at this age.

I hope you get well soon.

Do write back about the reports.