Feeling tired, dizzy, clogged ear and pressure in head. What am I suffering from?

ENT Specialist
I feel very very tired. I've never felt like this before. My head feels like I have pressure in it. My ears feel clogged and I feel a bit dizzy. I find concentrating difficult and my eyes feel very sensitive to light.
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

According to the description, you seem to be suffering from acute sinusitis. Sinuses are the empty cavities in the skull to protect the brain. The acute infection and the inflammation of the sinuses are termed as acute sinusitis.

Following an attack of common cold, there will be nasal congestion, because of which there is blockage of the sinus opening leading to stagnation of the secretions inside the sinuses and increased viscosity of the sinus secretions. Stagnation of these secretions gives rise to headache, fullness of the head and seldom dizziness.

Nasal congestion in turn causes blockage of the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear). Blockage of the Eustachian tube induces negative pressure inside the ear, thus causing clogging of the ears.

With appropriate measures these problems can be taken care of.

I would suggest you the following for the treatment of sinusitis:

1. Drink plenty of warm water to keep the nose and the sinuses hydrated.
2. Use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 2-3 times a day, this helps in reducing the nasal congestion, clearing of the mucus and reducing the cough.
3. Avoid coffee and chilled beverages.
4. A mucolytic (such as ambroxol or bromhexine) to reduce the viscosity of the mucus and control cough.
5. If your condition does not improve with the above measures, please consult your doctor for a thorough evaluation and management. Later, you may require a course of potent antibiotic (such as a combination of amoxycillin and clavulanic acid or cefuroxime) and investigations such as X-ray or CT scan of the nose and paranasal sinuses to confirm the diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Feeling tired, dizzy, clogged ear and pressure in head. What am I suffering from? 2 minutes later
Does that explain my tiredness? What about my eyes?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 20 minutes later

Thanks for writing back

Tiredness is due to increased pressure inside the head secondary to the accumulated secretions and the ongoing infection.

Secondly, the eye pain or pressure behind the eyes can be attributed to the same problem because of the proximity of the eye to the Ethmoidal sinuses. There are four sets of sinuses surrounding the eye. Above by the frontal sinus, below by the maxillary sinus, towards the midline by numerous ethmoidal sinuses and behind by the sphenoidal sinus. Ethomidal sinuses being in close proximity to the eyes and separated by a thin piece of bone (lamina papyracea) can affect the eyes very easily compared to rest of the sinuses.

You can confirm the same by getting an X-ray or CT scan of the nose and the paranasal sinuses done.

Hope this clears your doubt. I wish you good health and good luck.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon