Feeling tired and having sleeping difficulty. How to treat this problem?

Hi doc!i am just wondering because i have a hard time falling asleep,why is it that even if i am tired and sleepy i can't fall asleep a lot easier.sometimes i am so anxious whether or not i can sleep tonight?and what is the best thing to do.thanks!
Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 14 minutes later
Thanks for your query. I understand your concern with the sleep difficulty. I agree with you that anxiety symptoms can interfere with sleep. I suggest you the following steps of sleep hygiene to aid in sleep: Do not lie down in bed except during night sleep; avoid tea/coffee/carbonated beverages after 7 PM; wake up at the same time every morning irrespective of time you start to sleep; ensure dark and comfortable surroundings during sleep. In addition you need to be assessed for any independent anxiety disorder. CBT/Cognitive behavioural therapy might work to avoid anxiety about falling asleep. It can be administered by a trained clinical psychologist. Sedatives like clonazepam can be the last resort if other methods fail. Do clarify further if required.
Dr Sundar