Feeling tired and have white discharge. What is causing this and any cure?

I have white discharge throughout the month. The flow remains the same and I find no change...that is less more on certain days of the months. The wetness its quite embrassing and I have to use panty liners to avoid wetting the trousers. Dont really quite remember but have the problem may be since more than a year. I feel tired most of the time..even in absence of less work or a relaxed day. I follow a balanced diet and dont think this to be reason for the tiredness. Is this a symptom due to heavy discharge. Can you help me with the cause for this. Is it only due to vaginal infection or is something more. Having discussed with friends they have suggested visit my gynaec post a urine culture. Also is PAP test required. Could you help me understand. Also what would be the medication involved.
Posted Mon, 3 Dec 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 1 hour later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

If you have only white discharge persisting for so long, you should definitely XXXXXXX a gynecologist for an XXXXXXX examination.

The first possibility which I keep is of chronic cervicitis.
This refers to chronic (long term) inflammation and erosion of cervix.
This occurs when an infection remains untreated or due to repeated episodes of genital infection.

Chronic cervicitis usually presents with light vaginal discharge which can get profuse with time. Also pain during intercourse and urination can be other symptoms when you have the condition for a very long time.
This can also make you feel tired and lethargic.

This condition can be diagnosed by an XXXXXXX examination and a PAP test.

Also a vaginal swab culture (discharge culture) and biopsy of cervix may be required depending on your examination findings.

Treatment of mild cervicitis includes antibiotics.

However severe persistent cervicitis is treated with minor surgical procedure called cryotherapy.
Cryotherapy involves freezing of the area of cervix which is inflamed and involved in cervicitis.
Other alternative is cauterization where laser heat is used.

You should not delay consultation. This is because the earlier a problem is treated the better it is.
Also YEARLY PAP smear test is a must in all sexually active females.

I hope I have answered your queries.