Feeling tingling and joint pain in hands. Had joint replacement done on knee. Looking for advice

I am having trouble with my hands - a combination of tingling and joint pain. It is worse at night. I had a joint replacement on my right knee for osteoarthritis back in March and take Tramadol (up to 8 per day, Paracetamol (up to 8 per day often alternating with the Tramadol, Diclofenac (once a day) and Omeprazole to ensure effects upon the stomach. Can you advise about the hands problems please? I do use a computer regularly and as a musician often play the piano and viola.
Posted Thu, 19 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 6 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in cardiology.
The disease which led to replacement of your knee, osteo arthritis (OA) can effect your cervical spine. When nerves supplying upper part of the body specially for hands come from spinal cord in cervical region. These can get irritated by bony tissue called osteophytes and this can produce tingling and joint pain in the hands.
Please show yourself to the doctor, there are some life style remedies which stwill help a lot these include:
1. Keep your posture of spine straight mos of the time(you can adjust your computer screen and piano key board. This relieves pressure on the nerves.
2. Neck Muscle exercises: without raising your shoulder bend your neck so that your ear touches the shoulder keep your hand on side of face for support and offering resistance. Similarly, trying to touch your chin to front of your chest keeping your hand for support and offering resistance. And lastly touching your head to back keeping your hand for support and offering resistance. These should be gently done and should not cause pain to you.
3. Use hard bed for sleeping with pillow as thin as much possible.

Your doctor may ask you to wear a cervical collar which you can most of the time. Avoid jerky movement of neck like while backing the car use rear view mirror and avoid bending your neck to see what is at the back of your car.

If you are not helped by these measures, I am sure your doctor will investigate you further for nerve diseases.

I noticed the drugs you are taking if the strength of paracetamol you are taking is 500 mg then maximum dose ought to be 4 tablets along with other non steroidal drugs, please check with your doctor.

If you have any further query please ask, I shall be happy to reply asap.

Regards. With Best Wishes.

Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW