Feeling tightness on eyelid. Not cured by using allergy eye drops. Worrisome

my upper eyelids feels strained/tight and they spasm during the day,,,,,this all started one morning about 3 weeks ago,,,,i slept in my contacts and woke up with super dry and red eyes,,,,,,,left upper eyelid is the main one that spasms but get it both eyes,,,,and they also feel tight/strained when they are not twitching,,,,,went to my optomotrist who gave me some allergy eye drops,,she said it would go away,,,,vision seems fine now and eyes kinda back to normal, u have a history of moderate eye allergies and dry eyes due to contacts, but its never effected my eyelids,,,but the eyelid spasms/strain doesnt seem to be getting any better ,,,super annoying and distracting during the day,,which i cope with,,but im worried this may get worse somehow or lead to more serious vision problems,,,not sure whats going on,,,should i see my familily practioner or an eye specialist?,,,,regards XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 12 hours later
Thanks for sending your query to us.
There are two different aspects of your problem.Twitching of the eye is due to nuronal discharge and basically non ocular.We prefer not to treat it as it automatically goes away.
since you have already seen the optometerist and were found to be almost ok,there is no harm in seeing your physician.In the meanwhile anti allergic and lubricant eye drops are to be continued.
Please do get back to me in case of any further query.
Follow-up: Feeling tightness on eyelid. Not cured by using allergy eye drops. Worrisome 18 hours later
can these eyelid spasms/twitched do any harm to my eyes or vision as i just wait for them to go away?,,,,its been three weeks,,,i will have a couple good days and then a couple bad days,,,,,,,regards
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 5 hours later
Thanks for getting back to us.
These spasms are in the muscle and these muscles are like rest of the skeletal muscles in the body.
This is not going to effect your eyes or vision at all.
If we have to treat this condition,we give oral calcium,as this helps nerve conduction
Any problem please do get back to us..