Feeling tightness in throat and top of chest. Am I having asthma or throat related problem?

I have often wondered if I have asthma or some kind of throat illness? I get a tight feeling in my throat from the back of the mouth down to the top of the chest. The feeling is hard to explain- tight, wheezy, almost like that feeling when you chock on some water and cough it back out then that almost burning feeling you get in the back of your throat -its sort of like that but less wet. This used to happen just sometimes more often in the evening for maybe 10years but because it just lasted the night I never did anything about it . Then over the last the last month or so it has been much worse- every second day maybe- antihistimines (1) helped at first but now it seems not to unless I take a second one which I'm not supposed to do. I begin to get short of breath and remind myself to calm down and breath XXXXXXX which helps but does not eliminate the issue. If I start worrying about it more it gets worse I have to just try and relax but its really quite scarey going to sleep when you can't breath properly. Sometimes my skin starts to feel a bit tingly or itchy on my throat and inside my ears and for some reason my feet.
Posted Thu, 1 Nov 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 3 hours later

Relax – Long duration of symptoms and your young age suggest a simple not a serious event.

Loss of sleep of late - is most likely from added anxiety, as you describe
> You need to have investigations –
•     X-ray of the chest and sinuses and basic blood tests like complete blood cell counts.
•     Lung Function Test (Spirometry) can show whether there is Obstructive Lung Disease (asthma) / as also its severity and response to treatment.
•     There are special blood tests for allergy – inhaled or ingested - (RAST / ELISA / Immunoglobulins and compliment – your internist can suggest and order)
> There are additional medicines that can help
- Steroids – locally or orally
- Montelukast (leukotriene receptor antagonist)

My suggestion is to see your Internist (or Pulmonologist) – get yourself examined first.
The next step is to get yourself investigated – the aim of investigation is support the diagnosis and/or to modify the treatment based on the results. ‘Seeing’ is believing / seeing is confirming.

My impression is that you will do very well.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Good luck