Feeling tightness in throat after walking more than 200 meter. Should I consult an ENT?

ENT Specialist
Question
My father around 77 years old is not able to walk more than 200 meters as he feels tightness in throat..
Note : It is NOT breathlessness or pain or dizziness - just a kind of unexplainable feeling in the throat area . He is not able to talk much also during that time.

It takes 10-15 minutes to regain normal composure.. Is an ENT a good place to go?

Posted Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 9 minutes later
Hello
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon
On the basis of the information provided it appears that your father needs a cardiology evaluation and ENT evaluation. To me it appears more likely to be a cardiac cause. The desctiption you are ginving matches angina. Angina can present in various ways - one way is tightness in chest.

Please plan for a ECG, Cardiology consultation and Echocardiography. He may require angiography to look for the cardiac vasculature and any block (if so) in vessels. ENT consultation should be done if the above tests are normal

I hope this answers your query. Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions about this

with regards
Ravinder Sharma

Follow-up: Feeling tightness in throat after walking more than 200 meter. Should I consult an ENT? 3 hours later
We have done a cardio check and it is okay. He is taking medicine - cardace under advice. Hence I was wondering if may due to some throat related issues.. Thanks anyway.

Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 27 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up query
Cardio check may be normal as he has no problem at rest. His problem starts when he has walked 200 metres. I would suggest for an angiography as tread mill test is not advisable at his age and considering the history of angina on effort.
Beisdes this ENT consultation can also be planned but the history given is more suggestive of a cardiac cause.

I hope this answers your concern. Feel free to contact me if you require more information about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma