Feeling tightness and soreness on the side of neck. Is it due to thyroid problem?

I there my name is XXXXXXX and I've been having really bad tighness and soreness on the right side of my neck. It's been going on for a week and a half. My main concern is could it be my thyroid acting up again ? I have hypothyroidism I also happen to have a panic/aniexty disorder and a depression disorder. My other question is can it be my nerves acting up ever since I injured my lower back at my former job?
Posted Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 3 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

It could be possible that your current symptoms are being caused due to a flare-up of your thyroid problem. Such local symptoms like tightness, discomfort can be seen when there is an enlargement of the thyroid gland, thereby causing compression of the surrounding structures.

I would also consider the following possibilities for your symptoms:
- a problem with the cervical spine such as a spondylosis, where there is damage or wearing of the cervical spinal discs, thereby resulting in pain or tightness
- a muscle sprain or spasm
- any local problem like a lymph node enlargement or throat problem

It is unlikely to be due to the lower back injury since a problem with the spinal cord or nerves in the lower back cannot produce symptoms in the neck.

I would advise you to have a review with your doctor to have a thorough physical examination, and a recheck of your thyroid tests done to ascertain the exact cause of your problem.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Follow-up: Feeling tightness and soreness on the side of neck. Is it due to thyroid problem? 3 hours later
Thank u very much. I really appreciate it
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 6 minutes later
Hi again,
I 'm glad that my information has been useful to you. Kindly leave a review if you are staisfied with the answer.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar