Feeling tightness and something struck in throat. Started chest pain. Why am I feeling this?

I have a tight throat feeling like theres something stuck in my throat and the feeling like i want to vomit every few minutes but its hard to force it out. It is becoming more and more uncomfortable especially when i breathe in it feels like my stomach is pushing everything inside it preparing me to vomit it is causing a little bit of chest pain too.
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 47 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Did you eat something hard recently ? Something like chicken with a bone or something. Chicken bone can sometimes can stuck and cause problems. If you did not have something hard recently then there is little risk of something getting stuck. None the less if it is very uncomfortable and causing a lot of problems you need to report to ER. If there is something really struck in the food pipe it can be removed with an endoscopy. You can start with some over the counter antacids and it would reduce the reflux of food contents for the time being and temporarily ease the symptoms.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help

Dr. Om Lakhani
Follow-up: Feeling tightness and something struck in throat. Started chest pain. Why am I feeling this? 25 minutes later
Thanks for your answer. I havent eaten anything hard. But this has been on-going discomfort for 3 days now and the vomitting feeling comes and goes every few minutes. Though i will definitely take your advice into consideration much thanks!
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 21 minutes later

Nice to hear from you again. Like I said you can take some over the counter antacids for now. I am sure it will help ease the symptoms.

Hope this helps

Dr. Om Lakhani