Feeling thirsty, patch of hair missing on arm and leg. Family history of alopecia. Related?

Infertility Specialist
Question
im 19 years old male, maybe the past month ive been feeling really thirsty, once i drink one bottle of water im on to the next, and ive also noticed patch of hair missing on my arm, and leg(have family history of alopecia). Im not sure if they are related. I seen my doctor he told me i was at low risk of diabetes. Could this be it?
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 16 minutes later
Hi, thanks for your query. I read your query and I understand your concerns. Following is my reply : 1) Please get fasting blood sugar done. It is simple way to rule out diabetes. Why to waste energy on something which can be detected. 2) One bottle of water is not much for you. You should continue drinking water which is good for health. 3) Alopecia and thirst seem to be unrelated. Hence please get blood sugar tested as soon as possible. I hope I answered your query. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Feeling thirsty, patch of hair missing on arm and leg. Family history of alopecia. Related? 15 minutes later
thanks ! i was wondering some other side effects of diabetes?

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Hi, please get fasting blood sugar done and stop worrying about it. Its very unlikely for you to have diabetes. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Feeling thirsty, patch of hair missing on arm and leg. Family history of alopecia. Related? 2 hours later
i just took my blood sugar, and it was around 6.1 which is normal? what could be making me so thirsty throughout the day?

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 6 hours later

Thirst could be due to excess body activity or exertion. It could also be due to climatic variation. It is temporary any way as all feels these symptoms at times. Hence I advice you to relax and you will be fine soon.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol