Feeling tenderness on lower ribs. Prescribed with Avelox and muscle relaxers. Could this be cancerous?

Pulmonologist
Question
I had a flu shot about 7 weeks age. about a week after the flu shot my voice became very hoarse. A week after that started antibiotics and started with a cough than sinus infection. Finally dr. gave me xray after 4 weeks of this. xray showed left lower lobe shadow. possible pnemonia is what was reported. about a week ago my left side at lower ribs became very tender to the touch and hurts to lay down on left or right side (only left side hurts) i am now on Avelox and muscle relaxers. left shoulder sometimes has minor pain. could this be cancer too? Going in for another chest xray in about a week, still have 5 more days of avelox (antibiotic)
Posted Sat, 7 Dec 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: It seems to be infective Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through your query, I would like to comment thr following: 1. You currently seem to have a respiratory tract infection considering the infective focus in the upper airways as well as lung consolidation. The hoarseness of voice could be due to associated pharyngitis. This requires a course of antibiotics. If there is no response in 4 weeks then advanced investigations like CT scan thorax and bronchoscopy may be required. 2. Being a smoker, you are at an overall increased risk of lung cancer compared to general population. 3. You need to get yourself evaluated with a Pulmonologist in detail. I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries. Regards Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra MBBS MD DNB Consultant Pulmonologist

Follow-up: Feeling tenderness on lower ribs. Prescribed with Avelox and muscle relaxers. Could this be cancerous? 14 minutes later
Thank you, Should I first wait to get the results on the second chest xray or go straight to pulmonologist? Will pnemonia still show on the second xray if only been on antibiotics for two weeks?

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 minutes later
Brief Answer: Wait for the Xray chest Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the follow up. A post antibiotic course chest Xray will definitely be required by the Pulmonologist to ascertain the nature of lesion. So get that done and then vist a Pulmonologist. I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries. Regards Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra MBBS MD DNB Consultant Pulmonologist