Feeling tenderness above navel. Yellowish discharge from navel after hot compresses. Any suggestion?

I have tenderness just above the navel. I work out a lot and I started new lower ab exarcises. Dr. Thinks it is a pulled muscle, not a hernia. After starting anti-inflamatories and cold/hot compresses, 24 hours later I have a yellowish discharge from my navel. 49 year old female. I had a tummy tuck 6 years ago with no problems of any kind. Coincidence? Problem? Suggestions?
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

With your initial symptoms it is reasonable to conclude that a strain of the abdominal wall muscle was causing your discomfort. Now that you have a discharge we would consider it the most likely cost to be a mild infection. This is referred to as an abscess.

This type of thing can happen randomly from time to time. Generally if the symptoms do not improve in a reasonable period of time such as three or four days we would consider antibiotic therapy.

I would continue warm compresses and maybe warm soaks in a bathtub for couple of days but if the symptoms do not improve you might need to start an oral antibiotic. Sometimes a topical length about it will be helpful as well.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert