Feeling stressed and have panic attacks. What to do?

Hi - my daughter is in the middle of her GCSEs and is feeling really stressed. she is having loads of panic attacks, particularly at night when it gets dark and she says her eye has been wobbling on and off for the last week and it is really freaking her out.
Should I take her to my GP? the problem is all the emergency appointments will be first thing in the morning when the exams are. Should I try and explain this to the receptionist or is going to the doctor a waste of time as there is nothing he can really do?

She is sure the whole time that she is going to die and is really scared of death although I am sure there is nothing phsyically wrong with her - in fact she is very healthy.

She finds school-type learning extremely difficult and I don't really think she is cut out for all these exams and although she is doing the bare mimimum compared with most people she just can't seem to handle it.

Any advice gratefully received. She is on the phone to childline at this very moment to see if they can help.

PS She has english literature exam in 3 hours times which isn't helping

Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 5 hours later

Going to an ER is waste of time. Going to a patient and careful listening doctor is always good. Your doctor does not need medicine/pill, you and your daughter needs someone who can listen patiently and understand it.

You can choose a GP who is articulate and yet friendly. She needs some talk therapy which can relieve her stress or exam anxiety. Hope you have one around and he is willing to give immediate appointment. You should be with your daughter and never remind her about the competition around. She just needs to clear and get decent grades to be promoted further. Anxiety and stress will actually kill her enthusiasm and creativity before her exam.

If you still have sometime please take her to GP. Let her XXXXXXX one even after her test today.