Feeling stressed. What are the treatment available?

Psychiatrist
Question
One of my family member is stressed (as per my knowledge) & keep repeating aggressively the past memories.
How to get the person treated wothout telling him...Is there any process?
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Gourav Monga 18 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Welcome to health care magic and thanks for your query.

I can understand what you are going through and I appreciate your effort to seek online support.

In a 75 years male, this kind of behavior can occur in following conditions:

1)     Organic brain lesion (e.g. Head trauma)
2)     Medical illness
3)     Mood disorder (e.g. Depression)
4)     Substance/ Drug abuse
5)     Dementia
6)     Psychosis (Delusions/Hallucinations)
And many more….

I would like to ask you certain questions-

1)     Is there any history of head injury or head trauma or infectious lesion of brain?

2)     Is there any history of forgetfulness?

3)     Is there any history of sadness of mood, irritability, aggression, loss of interest in routine activities, crying spells, suicidal thoughts, suspiciousness, talking alone etc?

In some cases, drugs can be mixed with food items so that the patient does not come to know about it. In addition, there are certain liquid drops available which are colorless, odorless and tasteless which can be easily mixed with food. However, all this depends on the condition of the patient (uncooperative patient). The final treatment plan rests on detailed evaluation (including investigations like CT/MRI) by a qualified psychiatrist.

I advise you to visit a psychiatrist and start treatment after appropriate diagnosis.

Don’t worry and relax. He will be all right after treatment

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion, rate the answer and leave a review. Wish you good health.

Dr. Gourav Monga
Consultant Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Feeling stressed. What are the treatment available? 24 hours later
Dr. Gourav, Thanks for your detailed reply...
I continuation to your questions i would like to reply as follows :
This is point number three which is occuring mostly.
To brief i would like to add for the person as follows :
a) Lived away from family (outstation)almost from 1978 to 1984.
b) Partner died in 1984.
c) family two child both married in 1988. Girl child favorable.
d) Understanding loss with only single male child & statred living seperatly after 1991 onwards.
e) As per male child he tried to resolve but every time father treat aggressive....
These are some history of the person being unsocial from the society.. Now can this person be treated if need an treatment...

Answered by Dr. Gourav Monga 8 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Your details points towards "depressive disorder" as he is living separately since 1991 and he has no family/social support.

Don't worry, he can easily be treated with medication and psychotherapy sessions. However, detailed work up is necessary to make a clear diagnosis and planning the treatment.
Secondly, lack of social support is one of the most important factor in this case. So, provide some kind of social/family support to him.

Wish him good health.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion, rate the answer and leave a review.

Dr. Gourav Monga
Consultant Psychiatrist