Feeling soreness in throat, tender to touch and difficulty in swallowing. What could this be?

I was eating a piece of pizza last night and when I swallowed I felt like I was punched in the throat. Now my windpipe/Adam's XXXXXXX area is extremely sore and tender to the touch and swallowing is excruciating. What can this be?
Posted Wed, 28 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for writing in
I have read your query with diligence and here to help you. It seems that you have injured the area that is now paining and causing difficulty in swallowing. The injury can be due to hot pizza or due to the forceful swallowing of the piece of pizza or by other means. This might be a coincident that the soreness occurred after eating the pizza and soreness is due to the infection like bacterial or viral or GERD.

The home remedies include salt water gargles, herbal teas and lozenges, which can provide temporary pain relief. Keep yourself hydrated and humidifier may help if you feel the throat is dry. Analgesic and anti-inflammatory drugs like Acetaminophen or ibuprofen help you in getting relief from pain. The other associated symptoms like cough, fever and congestion if present can be treated accordingly with steam inhalation and antibiotics. Continuing taking prevacid it will help you in getting relief form acid reflex. Avoid oily, extreme cold and hot drinks and take only light semi-liquid diet.

If the soreness does not resolves in 2-3 days than you need get checked by your physician. He/ She may order some investigations if needed and a course of antibiotic as per need.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any doubt in your mind than please write back as follow up query. I will be happy to help you.

Best Wishes and have a speedy recovery
Dr. Kulbir Singh