Feeling sore at the bottom of the throat. Burping a lot. Ears feel itching. What is this?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
I've had a sore feeling in the bottem of my throat, I've been burping a lot and my voice has gotten hoarse. I am a smoker and worsens when I smoke. Its been goin on for about a month now. Sometimes my ears itch, however it doesn't hurt when I swallow. When I swallow when laying down I feel ans hear a bone hitting somthing in my throat. What is this?
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You may be having pharyngitis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing your query.

After reading your post, it seems that you might be having pharyngitis and needs medical management.

I would like to advise that you should first get following investigations done :-
1. Throat swab culture.
2. Complete Blood Count(CBC).

You should speak less for few days to give rest to your vocal cords.

You can take an antihistamine like Cetrizine 10 mg once a day along with an antacid like Omeprazole 40 mg once a day. Antibiotic can be taken according to the reports of the throat swab culture.

Also avoid smoking and cold and spicy foods.

If the problem persists, get yourself clinically examined by an ENT specialist.

I hope this is helpful to you.
If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.
Follow-up: Feeling sore at the bottom of the throat. Burping a lot. Ears feel itching. What is this? 7 minutes later
I had been taking antibiotics for something else. I just finished them a week ago. Wouldn't it have helped if my throat needed it?
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Appropriate antibiotic is more important.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for providing more information.

As I have mentioned earlier that antibiotic should be according to the throat swab culture/sensitivity reports. Just taking antibiotics will not fulfill the purpose unless the infective organism is sensitive to it.

So, I would recommend to get the above mentioned investigations and take the medications as mentioned.

I hope this answers your query.
If you have any further query, please mention.