Feeling something struck at back of throat. What is causing this feeling?

ENT Specialist
I feel like I have something stuck at the back of my throat, but can't see anything. Been going on for 24 hours. It isn't constant, had a few issues swallowing. Feels like it is in the upper back of throat. Feel the need to swallow to get it to go away, but it is still there. Can eat and drink normally.
Posted Sat, 28 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

The feeling of foreign body sensation in the throat could be due to acid reflux from the stomach into the throat.

Acid when it regurgitates from the stomach into the throat, causes burning of the mucosa of the throat leading to inflammation of the throat. Inflammation of the mucosa in turn induces swelling in the mucosa of the throat giving rise to foreign body sensation.

The causes of reflux of acid are many, medicines, obesity, stress, food habits, smoking, alcohol, etc. Identifying the causative factors and avoiding them can give you relief from this problem.

My suggestion to you is to drink plenty of warm water; avoid coffee/alcohol/stress/retiring to bed immediately after taking food. Also, you can try taking medicines such as proton pump inhibitors (Esomeprazole, Pantoperazole) and prokinetics (domperidone).

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon