Feeling sleepy, tired and decrease in stamina. What could be the cause?

Over the last several weeks I've needed much more sleep, am chronically tired and my stamina has dropped dramatically. I generally feel under the weather. Normally I would work out for 2hrs 3 to 4 days a week. That has dropped off and normally when I do cardio, I usually burn about 440 calories in 45 minutes. Now I work as hard as I can and am only burning about 360 calories. What could these symptoms indicate?
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Feeling sleepy, tired and a decrease in stamina for last several weeks could be due to-
1. Vitamin B12, iron, folic acid deficiency.
2. Improper diet.
3. Abnormal body posture, muscle overuse.
4. Electrolyte imbalance.
5. Hormonal disbalance like hypothyroidism.
5. Anxiety neurosis.

All these possibilities need to be ruled out after a proper physical examination and related blood tests.
Till the time you get evaluated for these possibilities, there are some of the lifestyle options which you can follow:

1) You can take a mild pain killer like paracetamol or ibuprofen for symptomatic relief. Taking a well balanced will be helpful.

2) Do not take caffeine or alcohol at night just before going to bed.

3) Indulge in yoga and meditation to calm your mind.

4) You can also indulge in progressive muscle relaxation which is useful in anxiety by alternately tensing and relaxing the muscles.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Feeling sleepy, tired and decrease in stamina. What could be the cause? 2 hours later
One major factor which I inadvertently omitted is that I have gained almost 20 lbs in the last 8 weeks. My diet has remained the same and it is a healthy diet.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The gain in the weight is suggestive of a hormonal imbalance like thyroid hormone deficiency. You need to consult an endocrinologist to get the proper blood tests done.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.