Feeling skin on back cold and painful. What could this be?

Dec 2013

very strange....the skin on my back feels cold, yet painful. there is no rash or any sign that there is an issue. pins and needles? I not sure I can explain it any better and is why I haven't been to the doctor....
Posted Thu, 6 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Hello Mam,

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX

Myself Dr S K Kanodia and will try to provide you the best of information regarding your query.
As per the short history and symptoms provided by you, it appears to be close to the medical terminology we usually call as "Paresthesia". This condition arises if there is any damage or injury or any problem is there with the nerve fibers which carries the sensations to the brain (we call these as sensory nerve fibers).

There are quite many causes of this condition including some diseases like diabetes (excess sugar) or due to nutritional problem, long term alcohol ingestion, some problem in the blood vessels supplying the sensory nerve fibers and sometimes due to no obvious cause also.

The brief history you have provided is too short to reach to any conclusive or nearest diagnosis. It would be better if you can elaborate your details regarding the problem. Kindly provide some details regarding your problem:
1. Tell us exactly since how long you started feeling this cold or painful or kind of pins and needle sensation.
2. Area of involvement on back (Is it that the whole back is involved or only some part of back or multiple different areas of back are involved).
3. Are there any other areas of body where you feel such sensation.
4. Any previous history of same sensation in past.
5. Any history of unusual symptoms of tiredness, fatigue, visual changes such as blurred vision, balance problems, trembling, pain in muscles and difficulties with concentration, judgement or memory or any long term problem.
6. Have you gone for your blood tests in last 3 months and especially for blood sugar.
7. Dietary habits or nutritional status and any history of long term alcohol ingestion
8. Any change in environment from hot to cold or cold to hot.

Kindly take pains to reply the important things related to your query. If you want to to add up in your follow up mail which you feel is important to tell then you are most welcome for the same.

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology)