Feeling sick, intergestion and difficulty in swallowing. Taking zantac. Any advice?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have been feeling slighty sick for the passed week.
I also have a slight winded feeling in my back.
Sometimes when I swallow food I can feel it like its gone down the wrong hole.
I sometimes get some intergestion, however this passes with taking Zantac.

Two weeks ago I was on the train to work around 7.30 in the morning, and the whole of my upper body went into spasm, I had a watery feeling in my mouth it passed in around a minute, no repeats as yet.
Can you advise thanks
Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 26 minutes later

Based on your symptoms, I think you might be suffering from Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). In this condition stomach contents (food or liquid) leak backwards from the stomach into the esophagus (the tube from the mouth to the stomach) causing irritation of the esophagus, heart burn, watery feeling in the mouth and other symptoms.

You will need proton pump inhibitors for a week or two. Omeprazole is usually available over the counter and can be taken once a day before breakfast. Check with your pharmacist about its availability.

In addition, you also need some strict life style modification like-

Avoid hot and spicy foods and beverages - they worsen symptoms.
If you smoke, stop smoking.
Lose weight if needed.
Eat small but frequent meals at regular intervals.
Avoid lying down immediately after a meal. A minimum of 2-3 hours should be lapsed after a meal.
Raise the head of your bed 6 to 8 inches by securing wood blocks under the bedposts. Just using extra pillows will not help.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have more concerns.

Follow-up: Feeling sick, intergestion and difficulty in swallowing. Taking zantac. Any advice? 24 hours later
Thanks for your response, I was wondering if the sick feeling may have be caused by my back pain?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 8 hours later

Thanks for posting your query again

This back pain is associated with GERD symptoms. In this condition pain may extend to your back. So apart from the advice as given in my previous answer you also start back exercises.

General feeling of sickness is unlikely to be due to back pathology; perhaps some infection - viral. If you are feeling better, it needs no medical attention.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have more concerns.

If you have no further query, accept my answer, rate and give reviews.

Wishing you good health...