Feeling sick after swimming. Started cough, runny nose and cold like symptoms. Any solutions?

Question
sick after swimmingMy son was perfectly fine yesterday until we went swimming in a public pool. Afterwords he felt feverish. He coughed all night and this morning has a runny nose and cold like symptoms. Why? And what should I do?
Posted Wed, 22 Aug 2012 in Asthma and Allergy

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 2 hours later
Hello

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

I would like to know whether this is the first time he presented with this symptoms after swimming , because few people may develop allergy to the chlorine used in swimming pool.

Or else he might have acquired some infection , for this i advise you symptomatic treatment like decongestants with antitussives for cough and cold, antipyretics for fever which are available over the counter.

If the symptoms doesn't subside in 3-4 days, then consult your doctor for proper diagnosis.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer

Follow-up: Feeling sick after swimming. Started cough, runny nose and cold like symptoms. Any solutions? 6 hours later
Yes this is the first time this has happened. He's been swimming at least two times before this...maybe just a summer cold. 3-4 days?

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 5 hours later
Hello
Good to hear from you.

I think it is simple cold, i advice you to follow the conservative approach, if the symptom persist it is better to see physician.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.