Ask a Urologist   »  

Feeling sick. Noticed blood in his urine. Suffer headache and nausea. Should see doctor?

my husband is sick.he has blood in his urine,headache,and nausea.
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 11 days later
Brief Answer:
My primary consideration is kidney stones.

Detailed Answer:
Good Day!

For a 35 year old male apparently healthy with a first episode of blood in the urine, nausea probably vomiting and headache I would think of kidney stones or more specifically a kidney stone that went down the small tube (ureter) that connects the kidney to the urinary bladder. Does he have flank pain? How is his urination does it have a burning sensation when urinating? Is he a cigarette smoker?

If you you consulted me in my clinic I would get a urinalysis. Urinalysis will tell us if he has infection (presence of WBC or pus cells in the urine) or stone problem (if there is a predominance of red blood cells - RBC in the urine) since the stone can cause bleeding in the urinary tract.

That would be my two primary consideration stones and urinary tract infection. If it is an infection I usually prescribe a flouroquinolone (Ciprofloxacin or Levofloxacin) although this is a prescription medicine and you may need to see your local doctor or Urologist to get a prescription. For stones, it is primarily pain medications NSAIDs and COX2 class of pain medications (Mefenamic acid, Tylenol, or Etoricoxib) and a CT STONOGRAM is needed to determine the size and location of the kidney/ureteral stone.

I would suggest going to the emergency room if the symptom persists since your husband might get dehydrated due to the nausea. Best of Health to both of you and thank you very much.

Yours truly,

Dr Manuel C. See IV
Urology Specialist