Feeling shortness of breath whenever it is cloudy. What may be the reason?

Nov 2013

Hi Doc, Iam XXXXXX 33 yr old. I feel shortness of breath whenever it is cloudy, especially in winter seasons, what may be the reason? I feel like something is blocking breaths inside the chest.
Posted Thu, 18 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 32 minutes later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.
Your symptoms are most likely suggestive of bronchial asthma.
In this condition, people have shortness of breath and wheezing. The symptoms get aggravated in winter or rainy seasons and also with air pollution or smoke.
This may be familial, but cases can occur without the family history too.
You need evaluation by a chest physician to confirm the diagnosis of the disease.
Good treatments are available for the same.
Please get back if you have any follow up queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Follow-up: Feeling shortness of breath whenever it is cloudy. What may be the reason? 46 minutes later
Hi Doc,
First time I had this problem in a winter season 3 year back when I was in India. last year I moved to New Zealand but I didn't feel any breathing difficulties in last winter here in New Zealand. This year's winter got me again, not severely but a feeling that I am not getting enough air, not the cold but the cloudy atmosphere affects me most.
I smoke 2-3 cigarettes a day and for the last one and half years I work in a chiller of 3-4 degree temperature. May any of these things be the reason or would it make worsen over time?
I searched in the internet on my symptoms and read about emphysema which is not curable, it scared me so I thought a consultation do good for me.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Thank you for getting back.
First of all, let me reassure you that your symptoms are not likely to be due to emphysema. Emphysema does occur in chronic smokers. So, as a doctor, I would advise you to quit smoking for better health.
Smoking and cold climate do aggravate the symptoms of bronchial asthma.
Symptoms usually do not get worse in asthma. On the other hand, people with asthma get better over time if treated properly.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM