Feeling shaky, anxious, weak and having night sweats. Cannot concentrate and no balance. Remedy?

My XXXXXXX organs feel as though they are getting hard, or like they are rubbing together, or like they are catching under my ribs. It is hard to explain but there is no pain just discomfort and unusual feeling. I am shaky, anxious, weak - at times I can hardly stand. I am 60 y/o male. I have night sweats occasionally. I can't concentrate and I seem to be forgetting things frequently. The shakiness is visible to others. I loose my balance frequently.
Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2013 in General Health
Follow-up: Feeling shaky, anxious, weak and having night sweats. Cannot concentrate and no balance. Remedy? 44 minutes later
About 240 pounds @ 6’ tall

Smokes about two packs a week

Drinks, a couple in the evenings when I go home

325mg ECASA i daily

Diazepam 2mg i qid prn

Hydrochlorothiaz 25mg i qd

Nadolol 40mg i qid

Bupropion XXXXXXX XL 300mg i qd

Micardis 80mg i qd

Viagra 50mg prn

Centrum Silver vitamin

ibuprofen and ES Tylenol prn

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

It might be necessary to know for how long you have this unusual feeling. And also how the shaking is: is it shaking at rest (resting tremor) or shaking when you want to take something or greet someone(intention) tremor? What type of balance problem are you experiencing? difficulties to stand? to walk straight? irregular steps? Do you experience any general stiffness of the joints and body? has your hand writing changed or not? It could be necessary also knowing for how long these night sweats have been experienced? any fever or weight loss?

To begin with: I would love to know if you have had any shocking psychological or depressive event lately. These are symptoms that could be associated to some degree of depression. Shaking at rest is usually seen in Parkinsons's Disease. It shall be accompanied by general body stiffness, shakiness reduces with onset of movement, handwriting also gets smaller. If the shaking starts only when you want to carry out a particular activity, it is intention tremor. This is seen in diseases of a part of the brain called the cerebellum. Balance problems could also be associated with problems with the inner ear. If you got any hearing problems, it might be worth precising them.

Night sweats is seen in chronic conditions like Tuberculosis and some tumors like lymphomas. A general clinical evaluation in search of enlarged lymph nodes is usually useful. A complete blood count is necessary in the case of some lymphomas and rarely some blood malignancies. A chest X XXXXXXX considering the unusual feeling of hardened organs and Tuberculosis would thus be well welcome.

Difficulties to concentrate and forgetfulness merit a proper neurological exam. Depending on whether it is long term or short term memory loss, management is different. Psychological stress at times might be an underlying cause. specific neurologic tests exist to evaluate this and institute appropriate treatment measures. Gamalate B6 taken for a few months could actually help in some patients.

You will have to book an appointment with a neurologist for a proper clinical evaluation and management. Appropriate laboratory and radiological examinations guided by a proper clinical evaluation should be adequate for a diagnosis and drawing up of an appropriate management plan. Thanks and hope this helps as I wish you the best of health.

best regards,

Bain LE, MD.