Ask a Urologist   »  

Feeling sensation in urethra after urination. Why am I experiencing this symptom?

Sir, I am male and my age is 20 years.
When I go for urination, I urinate normally. I have no any problem in urinating. But after urination I experience following symptom
1. After urination, up to 5-10 mins, I feel little sensation in urethra. It seem that a little urine are left in urethra.
2. Sometime I dribble drops of urine after urination and sometime not. but little sensation always present up to 10 mins after urination.
3. I feel little sensation up to 10 mins. after it I become normal. When I feel normal then I donot leak further drops.
I am experiencing these symptom from past 18 months. I have no other issue. kindly tell me why I am experiencing these symptom? If it is normal than does all the boy of my age group experience such symptom?
Posted Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 32 minutes later

You seem to be having incomplete emptying of bladder for last 18 months. Before advising anything further I would like to know following:
A) Is there any burning sensation during or after micturition?
B) Do you get fever at any time? 
C) Is there any delay in initiation of stream and how is the stream is poor or normal?
D) Do have Phimosis that is difficulty in retracting foreskin of your penis?
E) Have you taken Antibiotics or any medicine for this or shown to a Doctor?

You may not have any serious problem; but we need to see and rule out any organic problems, so we do not miss anything significant.

I am waiting for your reply as to answer your query in detail.

Best Wishes
Follow-up: Feeling sensation in urethra after urination. Why am I experiencing this symptom? 46 minutes later
Answer of all your question is XXXXXXX NO". only problem is that I dribble few drops after micturition & also I feel after urination that few urine are left in urethra. I feel little sensation in urethra after micturition. Sensation ends after 5-10 mins. I often dribble after urination..
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later

Thanks for your quick response

Definitely dribbling of urine is not normal. This can occur 
1. If you have narrowing of passage in urethra; what is known as stricture or enlarged prostate
2. There is long foreskin (Prepuce) which holds some amount of urine and dribbles after some time.
3. Incomplete emptying of bladder with residual urine in bladder and it comes out gradually.
4. Even we need to rule out a stone (Calculus).

However to narrow down the possibilities and to confirm the cause you would need to be examined by an Urosurgeon. Careful examination and investigations such as routine kidney functions, Urine examination, some imaging like an Ultrasonography, Cystography and micturating cysto-urethrography with or without Antegrade Pyelogram may be required to reach appropriate diagnosis. 

Treatment is based on the cause. 

As I mentioned earlier, in the absence of associated symptoms, what you seem to have is a sinister problem and we have good chances of correcting it. Visit your nearest urosurgeon and follow the advice. Do inform me the progress.

I hope I have answered your query, if you have any question, I will be happy to answer that.

Best of Luck to you,