Feeling ratcheting in shoulders when moving them. Have abnormal thyroid levels. Your thoughts?

I have asked this question before but have not received a direct answer yet. When I shrug my shoulders I feel a ratcheting in them. By that I mean they do not move smoothly but with a ratcheting which is clearly visible. I have been checked and cleared of MS, ALS, Parkinsons, and most of the usual suspects. REcently a physician said my thyroid was a little on the large normal side and that could be the cause of my problems. Thyroid blood tests were ok, but he said that does not always indicate there is not a problem. your thoughts?
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 4 hours later

Most likely you would not be able to find a direct answer for such a non specific symptom. You do not seem to report anything else associated with this uncommon description. I am happy that your doctors ruled out the most common and worrisome causes. Thyroid are good to rule out but would not explain all of it.

The next likely would be a degenerative changes in the spine and muscle. It is but obvious that a 68 year old male however athletic would have age related changes. The muscle fibers would be replaced gradually with fibrous and fatty tissue. The mobility of the muscles may not be congruous causing such stepwise feel.

Meanwhile try not to probe too much on this unless it affects your daily functioning. I would keep you posted if something reads better.