Feeling queasy and hungry, weak stomach, smokes. Have anxiety, get breathless and heart pounds. On cymbalta and xanax

I am 22 yrs old and not pregnant. for the past year and a half or longer, I have been waking up queasy and extremely hungry. somedays are worse than others. While eating fixes the problem, many mornings even though I feel hungry I have no appetite. I'm about 5'5 and 115 pounds, with a very high metabolisn which seens to be slowing a little as I grow. in the past year, I have grown quite a bit. I have a weak stomach anyways, but its beyond that. I also have anxiety and sometimes my heart pounds and I get breathless. my grandma toldme she has a thyroid problem so I was wondering if that might be the case. for the medications I take, for the past 4 months I've been taking cymbalta which works great, the nuvaring for the past 6 months, and occasionally a xanax if I really need it. my diet varies, but almost every day it is balanced out between greas y convenient food and fruits and whole grains and fish and stuff at home. I am a regular pot smoker. can you help me at all?
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 5 hours later
It is important to rule out some important endocrine conditions here. I will enumerate a few : diabetes, thyroid, spontaneous hypoglycemia, pheochromocytoma.
The best advise I can give you is to see an endocrinologist for an in-person evaluation because endocrine problems can be complex to diagnose and manage.
However I can suggest a preliminary work up.
Get lab tests for the following: CBC, CMP (liver, kidney and electrolytes), TSH, Free T4, Total T4, Total T3, T3 resin uptake, plasma fractionated catecholamines

Also, when you experience these symptoms, please check your fingerstick glucose with a glucose meter. if the value is below 70 mg/dl it is concerning and warrants the need for further assessment