Feeling pulsating sensation on neck. What is causing this feeling?

i woke up feeling a vein on themleft side of my neck pulsing. I have never had this before. not any pain but it is stil doing it.
Posted Sun, 2 Sep 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
A noticeable vein in the side of the neck that too pulsating is enough to cause distress.
Commonly such visible veins are seen due to a raised blood pressure, anger, anxiety, cardiac problems like heart failure, etc.
Whenever you are angry, there is raised blood pressure, more of the blood goes to head and neck and similarly more of it is drained back making the vein to pulsate.
If there are no other symptoms like palpitation, tachycardia, breathlessness, swelling of feet, etc then this is likely to be a benign symptom and is not worrisome.
You can self monitor yourself for any of the above symptoms and in case the pulsations persist for more than two days then you need to get yourself examined from your physician.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.