Feeling pressure on both sides of neck, like veins are swelling. Started plaquinel for connective tissue disorder. Suggest?

Hello.. I have been feeling pressure on both sides of my neck, feels like jugular veins are swelling.. ESP noticeable when I look down or bend my chin to my chest. I started Plaquinel for mixed connective tissue disorder about 3 weeks ago but that is the only medication I am taking. Thank you.
Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 5 hours later

Pressure on both sides of neck seems like carotidynia. This is inflammation in blood vessels of the neck causing pain. This usually occurs in vasculitis.

As you stated you are suffering from mixed symptoms are related to mixed connective tissue disease.

Lastly, the other close possibility is a superficial pain due to lymph node enlargement.

It would be wise to take an analgesic for a few days and see if your pain becomes better. Else, I encourage you to consult your treating physician for evaluation to rule out lymph node enlargement / vasculitis.

Hope this answer your query. Let me know if you need clarification.