Feeling pressure in head and loss of balance. Taking iron tablets. Can hormonal changes pre menopause cause problems with balance?

Pediatrician
Question
Back in March my glands were up on and off for a period of three weeks or so. I had no symptoms except a feeling of pressure in my head and an unpleasant slight loss of balance. My glands have now settled but I do still feel an odd sense of imbalance particularly when I exert myself. (I do know I had contact with a child who had an ear infection when it all started but she was prescribed an antibiotic for hers so presume hers was bacterial not viral.)
But I am also beginning to wonder whether this odd sensation could be hormonal as it is worse at certain points in the month. (I am 42 and obviously a woman!!)
I am also on a 3 month course of iron tablets for thinning hair as a blood test revealed my Ferritin levels were low. I am taking one 200mg tablet per day. It is too early to tell if these have made any difference to my hair which has been shedding progressively more for about five years now.
Can hormonal changes pre menopause cause problems with balance? (The blood test did not conclusively prove that I am pre menopausal).
Posted Thu, 4 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 56 minutes later
Hi XXXXX

thanks for your query,

I can feel your concerns
No hormones do not play any role in body balance , rather it is maintained by our ears , semicircular canal and part of brain cerebellum.

Do you feel vertigo?
What do you mean by glands?

Menopause age is variable for different women.

You should get your ears examined by an ENT doctor.
Hope I have answered you , If you have any other query, I would be honored to answer .

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Feeling pressure in head and loss of balance. Taking iron tablets. Can hormonal changes pre menopause cause problems with balance? 23 hours later
Thank you for your reply.

By glands I meant those in the throat/neck, the ones that often swell in response to flu/pharyngitis/ tonsillitis etc. Do you think I could have been fighting off an ear infection that slightly affected my balance, but gave no other symptoms and if so is it possible for such a virus to linger for some weeks? (It wasn't that the room was spinning or anything just an unpleasant feeling of falling to one side.) It has actually been a great deal better this last week.

Also, can fluctuating/low levels of oestrogen or low ferritin levels affect balance?

I do have quite a bit of neck/upper back pain on and off mostly down to wear and tear. Could this affect balance?

The other query I have is can falling levels of oestrogen cause hair to thin?

If my hair thinning is due to the aforementioned low ferritin levels, how long should it be before I notice any difference in my hair if the thinning is due to low ferritin? (I am taking ONE 200mg Ferrous Sulphate a day).

Thank you for your time. I will await your response. SJ.

Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 1 hour later

Thanks for your follow up. My comments are as follows:

1. Yes, ear infection can linger on for months if not treated.

2. Imbalance is not generally associated with estrogen or ferritin levels.

3. Hormonal fluctuation can contribute to hair problems. However I think the most important cause could be dandruff, stress, natural life span of hair and other physical causes. You might consider visiting a dermatologist and learn about the various causes.

In the interim, I suggest you use antifungal shampoo and vitamin E for hair issues.

Hope, I have answered you. If you do not have any other clarifications you can close the discussion and rate the query.

Dr. XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Feeling pressure in head and loss of balance. Taking iron tablets. Can hormonal changes pre menopause cause problems with balance? 18 hours later
Thank You for your reply.

I do have just one more query.

Can inflammation around the upper spine, neck and shoulder blades compress small blood vessels to cause a feeling of light headedness?

Thank you. SJ

Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 5 hours later
Hi

Thanks for your query

Yes any inflammation or infection around this area can cause pain or light headedness.
However, generally it is through dilatation of the vessels not compression of the vessels.

Dr. XXXXXXX