Feeling pounding, racing heart, chest pain, weakness and light headed in mid night. What's wrong?

Hi, I wake up in the middle of many nights lately with pounding, racing heart,and chest pain, feeling very week and lightheaded. My left arm,( sometimes all left side including leg) is usually affected too, it is numb and weak. I am 33 years old and very stressed lately. What could it be ? Are those panic attacks or is it something wrong with my heart?
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 56 minutes later
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
Females of the reproductive age are particularly protected from ischemic heart diseases due to the unique protection provided by female hormones.
Still it is worth while to get examined and get an ECG during the event.
Most likely you are suffering the anxiety neurosis and panic attacks are the appropriate diagnosis of your problem.
i would advise you to get a good counselling and treatment of the anxiety problem from a psychiatrist. That much level of anxiety is not good for health and also causes undue morbidity.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!