Feeling pounding in chest, shaky and dizzy while doing exercise. Concerned

My 16 year old son was doing weights (has been for the past 8 weeks). He said his heart started really racing and he could feel it pounding in his chest and he was shaking and felt dizzy. He said as soon as he stopped to feel his heart with his hand on his chest, it just went back to normal. At the time he was doing dumb bell flies. He is fit, healthy, not overweight, doesn't drink, smoke or do drugs.
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 53 minutes later
Thanks for your query,
What your son had most likely an episode of Supra ventricular Tachycardia (SVT), which is precipitated by exercise.
These are fast heart rate abnormality and may come suddenly and may stop spontaneously and sometime require treatment urgently.
A ECG during episode can confirm the type and rate of tachycardia, other wise 24 hour ECG monitoring what is called Holter.
Please consult a cardiologist for his problem.
A detail examination is strongly recommended as there is positive family history of arrhythmia. After that a 2D Echocardiography may give important information regarding any structural defect.
If any abnormality is detected it can be treated accordingly, otherwise if these episodes not recurrent and do not cause low BP and syncope they may be treated conservatively.
If frequent and troublesome a EPS (Electro physiological Study) may be required and any abnormal conduction tissue present may be treated with Radio Frequency Ablation.
In the mean time he should avoid heavy exercise, excess use of Tea and coffee, and strictly smoking must be avoided.
I hope that I have answered your query and please inform me about the progress and if there is any further query, I will be happy to answer that.
Please take care of your son.