Feeling pins, needles and itchy feeling all over the body. Could this be menopause?

I have a pins and needles all over my body and itchy feeling. I am a 48 year old female. Could this be menopause?
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Menopause is diagnosed after 12 months of no periods. There is a time before menopause that symptoms start and this is called perimenopause or menopause transition as it is now being called.
This transition period can start up to 6 years before the last period and continue for a variable amount of time after.

Pins and needles and itching are not known symptoms of menopause.

The most common symptoms during the transition and after are hot flashes, insomnia, weight gain and bloating, mood changes, irregular periods (during transition), depression, headache, breast pain.

Pins and needles and itching sensation that you are experiencing may be related to a number of different conditions such as : (1) vitamin deficiency- lack of some vitamins such as B12 or B6 can cause abnormal sensation
(2)electrolyte abnormalities- abnormal levels of calcium, magnesium
(3) low levels of thyroid hormone
(4)liver or kidney disease
(5)heavy metal poisoning

You may want to consider, if possible, visiting your doctor for an evaluation which may include physical assessment and blood tests.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions