Feeling painful lump in the throat. Reason?

I have had a lump I'm my throat for 2 days now and I feel like the lump is going further down into my chest but now it is a bit painful, I can'tfeel anything from the outside but wen I oat my back it relieves me. It feels like i swallowed a sweet. Pls help
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The most common cause of feeling a lump in the throat is a throat infection- mostly a viral infection , sometimes bacterial.
The other causes are- oral ulcer, thyroid nodules, stress and anxiety, panic disorder, gastro esophageal reflux, etc.
All these causes need to be ruled out after a careful examination and proper investigations.
Meanwhile you can take lozenges, especially those with Phenol or Benzocaine, to relieve your symptoms. Adequate humidification with a vaporizer will keep the area lubricated and reduces irritation. Do take plenty of warm fluids orally.
Doing warm saline gargles will also be helpful.
Avoid consuming oily and spicy foods.
You can an over the counter available antacid like Tums to supress excessive gastric acidity.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Feeling painful lump in the throat. Reason? 16 minutes later
Thank you,
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
You are most welcome.