Feeling pain while swallowing. Took advil. Allergic to dust. Gargling with salt water. Is this common?

Excellent

ENT Specialist
Question
5/6 days ago I felt pain when swallow something. So I took advil for 3 days and the pain went away. I did not check my tonsil for some time but after taking the advils I looked at the tonsils and I saw only one is enlarged, the other one seems fine.
I did not have fever but i am allergic [dust, pollen etc] and now no pain but the enlarged [not too much] tonsil. I am gargling with salt water for last 2 days.
Is it kind of common?
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Asthma and Allergy

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 6 hours later
Hi

Thanks for the query

It is not unusual to have a unilateral enlarged tonsil. It is absolutely normal. But in case of recurrent fever, enlarged glands with a unilateral enlargement of tonsil, then we need to think of infectious mononucleosis or glandular fever. Rarely, there can be a unilateral enlargement of tonsil in malignancy of the same.

Unilateral enlargement of a tonsil occurs in those conditions wherein there is recurrent throat inflammation on one particular side. Also, there are possibilities of an atrophied (shrunken) tonsil on the opposite side, which makes the other tonsil to appear enlarged.

You can try drinking plenty of warm water. Avoid chilled/hot beverages, smoking and alcohol if any during an attack of sore throat.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Feeling pain while swallowing. Took advil. Allergic to dust. Gargling with salt water. Is this common? 1 hour later
Thanks Dr.
I had bouts of runny nose and sneezing condition lately but never checked my tonsil so I am not sure that was enlarged before.
But sneezing seems to be increased off late due to dust mite or some kind of environmental allergy condition.
I did not have fever as I usually check if I feel feverish. Always 97~98 deg temp. I have back ache most of the time for last 8/9 years due to posture [computer related work at office] and usually stretching exercise takes care of it.
Based of these you think I should not be worried if the slightly enlarged tonsil does not come to the normal size? Or it might take months to get in size?
Should I see a ENT in person?
Thanks again for your advice.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 10 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing back

The enlarged tonsil seems to be a harmless one and it might not shrink. You can definitely consult an ENT specialist for a complete evaluation.

Secondly, allergic rhinitis does not cause enlargement of the tonsil and there is no relation between the former and the latter.

I wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Feeling pain while swallowing. Took advil. Allergic to dust. Gargling with salt water. Is this common? 20 hours later
Thanks Dr.
I gargled with salt and drinking water for last 3 days. The tonsil seems not reducing in size yet.
I went to my GP today. She checked and said the left tonsil is slightly swollen not very swollen so she did not want to give me steroid.
Though I had no pain or fever but she game me antibiotic and told me to tale advil to see if that inflamation goes away otherwise to see ENT specialist.
As I am already talking to you [ENT specialist] I just wanted to give you update.

I do hope it is not a complicated case.
I have mild molar tooth [lower left] irritation, which has crown. But hopefully the antibiotic will take care of that.

Have even seen one's single tonsil gets swollen and stays like that?

Do let me know if you have any input.

Thanks for taking time and read my concerns.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 4 hours later

Thanks for writing back

Hypertrophied tonsil will not reduce in size easily; it is not just mere swelling of the mucosa, which can reduce with the steroids and anti-inflammatory medicines. It is not going to harm you in any way.

I don't think so you will require any antibiotics as there are no signs and symptoms of tonsillar infection.

Finally, molar tooth irritation is not related to unilateral hypertrophy of the tonsil. I have come across many of my patients with unilateral enlargement of the tonsils without any significant problems.

It is your mere apprehension which is making you think about this enlarged tonsil. Do not worry! You are perfectly alright.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon