Feeling pain under lower rib left. Taking dicetel. Will it be cured?

pain under lower rib left side comes around to front of left side it comes and goes taking dicetel, don't know if it works
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for Samiti your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

It is somewhat difficult to determine the exact cause of your symptoms without being able to examine you but I will give you a couple of thoughts here.

My first thought would be that you may be dealing with a kidney stone. These are tiny collections of calcium which can cause pain such as that which you describe. Typically however a kidney stone will cause more pain in the lower abdomen and near the groin.

Another possible consideration would be inflammation of your pancreas. The pancreas is located just under the left rib margin. This is diagnosed usually with a physical examination with laboratory studies and sometimes a CT scan.

Another consideration would be that you're dealing with gastritis. This is inflammation of the wall of the stomach which is caused by excess of acid secretions. What you might consider doing is taking omeprazole 20 mg daily for two weeks to see if this helps your symptoms. What this medication does is lower the acid content in your stomach.

I hope these thoughts and suggestions have provided helpful information for you. If you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert