Feeling pain towards sternum when pressed and bent down or taking deep breathe. Uderlying cause?

i am male and 41 years old. today i am feeling pain on my left side of my ribs inner part towards the sternum. when i press there, bend down and put pressure there or take a deep breath i feel soreness/pain. I do not recall bumping doing anything to cause this.
Posted Thu, 1 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

The commonest cause of pain at the level of the ribs, especially when increased with pressure is called Trietz syndrome. It occurs commonly at the junction between the ribs and the sternum. This is an inflammatory disease that is treated simply and commonly with steroids. In your case, this has to be done especially with caution since you have an already irritated stomach with gastroesophagal reflux disease. Option of choice shall be a selective cyclooxygenase II inhibitors, generally Celecoxibs that will spare the irritation of the stomach. Outcome is usually very favorable with this treatment.

A proper clinical review is however usually required. failure to respond to treatment shall require a chest X XXXXXXX to exclude other serious causes of pain.

In your case, I do think it s simple Treizt syndrome and suggest you consult your family physician for a review and prescription of the appropriate drug in required doses.

Thanks once again and kind regards. It is not very likely that it should be linked to the former illness you had or drug. Feel free asking further questions if need be.

Bain LE, MD.