Feeling pain directly above anus. Pus coming out after squeezing. Any idea what might it be?

About two weeks ago I felt pain directly above anus. I went to the ER and the doctor told me it was a hemeroid. The following day I sat in the a tub of hot water. Two to three hours after I felt wetness and I realized that whatever it was had burst. I looked at my underwear and there was what I think was puss not blood. I felt relief beyond belief. It's been about two weeks now and today I started feeling the same pain. I kind of felt the area and squeezed and a brown colored puss had come out and I feel relief. Any idea what this might be and if so what kind of doctor should I go see. Please help
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 2 hours later

Thanks for the question.

Your symptoms suggest that you have a gluteal abscess ( which means the pus has collected under the muscle of the hip). As it has failed to resolve, I think you need to consider further treatment. Usually, the causative factor is a bacterial infection.

Treatment with antibiotics for infection and painkillers to relieve pain would be helpful. If its painful you can take Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required with food. You can take upto a maximum of 4 tablets daily. It is always suggested to get such an abscess drained completely or else the original infection remains within the undrained portion and it can lead to recurrence. If it persists after these medication also you should consider surgical drainage with consultation of your doctor.

You can consider to see a general surgeon for this.

I hope I have been helpful to you,. Let me know if you have any more questions.